- A paper entitled “Neural Network Augmented Sensor Fusion for Pose Estimation of Tensegrity Manipulators” was recently accepted for publication in the journal IEEE Sensors
- Altay Zhakatayev Successfully Defended PhD Thesis
- ARMS Member Akmaral Moldagalieva Leaves for PhD Studies.
- ARMS Lab member took the 3rd place at IROS 2019 competition.
- Deputies of the Mazhilis Visited ARMS Lab.
- ARMS Lab Participated in the Nazarbayev University Open House.
- General Secretary of ITU Haolin Zhao Visited Robotics and AI Laboratories.
- ISSAI Announced at the NU Digital Day.
- A Paper Base on Synthetic Dataset and Deep Learning Got Published on MDPI Machine Learning and Knowledge Extraction Journal
- A paper was accepted for IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology journal
IEEE President-Elect Prof. Toshio Fukuda Visited Nazarbayev University
One of the founding fathers of intelligent systems Prof. Toshio Fukuda visited Nazarbayev University between 14 and 16 April 2019 as a guest of ARMS Lab Director Dr. Atakan Varol. Prof. Fukuda is the IEEE President-Elect 2019 and will begin serving as the IEEE President starting 1 January 2020. IEEE is the world's largest association of technical professionals with more than 423,000 members in over 160 countries around the world.
During his impeccable career, Prof. Fukuda conducted research on intelligent robotic systems, micro and nanorobotics, bio-robotic system, and technical diagnosis and error recovery systems. He was Founding Chair of the IEEE Workshop on Advanced Robotics Technology and Social Impacts (ARSO, 2005), Founding Chair of the IEEE Workshop on System Integration International (SII, 2008), Founding Chair of the International Symposium on Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science (MHS, 1990-2012). He has received many awards such as IEEE Eugene Mittelmann Achievement Award (1997), IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000), IEEE Robotics and Automation Pioneer Award (2004), IEEE Transaction Automation Science and Engineering Googol Best New Application Paper Award (2007), George Saridis Leadership Award in Robotics and Automation (2009), IEEE Robotics and Automation Technical Field Award (2010). He received the IROS Harashima Award for Innovative Technologies (2011) and Friendship Award of Liaoning Province PR China (2012). IEEE Fellow (1995). SICE Fellow (1995). JSME Fellow (2002), RSJ Fellow (2004), VRSJ Fellow (2011) and member of Science Council of Japan (2008-), and Academy of Engineering of Japan (2013-). He supervised over 100 PhD students and authored over 2,000 scientific articles.
As part of his visit, Prof. Fukuda gave an inspiring lecture entitled "Multiscale Robotics" at the Orange Hall of C2 building to the university academic staff and more than three hundred students. Additionally, he participated in a number of meetings with the School of Science and Technology faculty and researchers, where various academic, research and administrative topics were discussed in-depth. During his tour of the robotics laboratories in C4 building, he was introduced to the research projects currently carried out.
Dr. Varol commented: "It was an honor for us to host Prof. Fukuda, a living legend of robotics, at Nazarbayev University. We congratulate Prof. Fukuda as the first Asian President of IEEE. His visit indicates the expanding recognition of Nazarbayev University in the world robotics sph. He certainly is as a great role model for our faculty members and students."